Sunday 21 February 2016

The home run

This was how the big print looked when I thought it was finished...


... then I put it up in the studio, and I looked again and realised it wasn't really what I wanted.

I wanted the wall, centre left, to blend better into the background and the background to be darker, so back in the etching tank it went.


This looked better when the image is viewed as a whole. The focus is re-directed better onto the path.
Then I needed to sort the gap in the textures in centre of the lane and the post which wasn't quite there.


After a final judicious use of aquatint the lane textures are linked together and the eye is drawn along the lane more effectively.


And now I think its finished... maybe...

'Turning for home' etching 66 x 44 cm
I do wonder if I might still give this plate the chop - my favourite areas are the main lane leading backwards; in these areas everything has worked as I wanted. A Photoshop crop gives the general idea...


Sometimes less is more?

1 comment:

Charlton Stitcher said...

It's been fascinating to see your process, Wendy - and the result is lovely!